Cleaning your Data: OpenRefine for Social Scientists Online
Presenter: Walter Griffatong
A part of the data workflow is preparing the data for analysis. Some of this involves data cleaning, where errors in the data are identified and corrected or formatting made consistent. This step must be taken with the same care and attention to reproducibility as the analysis. OpenRefine is a powerful free and open source tool for working with messy data: cleaning it and transforming it from one format into another. This workshop will teach you to use OpenRefine to effectively clean and format data and automatically track any changes that you make. Many people comment that this tool saves them literally months of work trying to make these edits by hand.
Benefits of this workshop:
- Understand the kinds of challenges presented by raw data
- Install and use the OpenRefine tool on your own computer
- Use several time-saving techniques to cluster, clean, and process your data
Related LibGuide: Digital Scholarship and Digital Humanities by Kris Joseph
- Thursday, October 21, 2021
- 10:00am - 1:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.